6.29.2013

Color is always a good idea.

This week, I was officially given the nickname, "India Canela," by some of my Dominican coworkers. The literal translation to English, I suppose, is "Cinnamon Indian Girl." More specifically, however, this nickname refers to my skin tone along the Dominican spectrum. While in the United States it is common to identify with broad categories when referring to your racial background, such as Black, White and even Brown, things are a bit different in the DR. I've found that Dominicans use all sorts of interesting terms to describe their diversity of skin tones: from India clara/oscura, to morena, to rubia, and the list goes on.
 
The nickname I've been given is really no bother to me, though, and that's partly because I don't sense that it carries any stigma or heavy connotations. One of the things on my bucket list is to learn about and experience race relations in a different country than my own. I feel like this nickname is just a part of my education. So for now I accept the term. Just call me the "Cinnamon Indian Girl."

2 comments: