8.24.2012

Bienvenidos a Santiago

El Momumento a los Héroes de la Restauración
The Dominican Flag (La Bandera Dominicana)

I arrived in Santiago, DR this past Monday! What an adventure it has been already! For the past few days, I've been going through program orientation. It's really hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I'll be spending the next few months here! I really like it so far, except for the humidity/heat. That I could definitely do without. The weather (el climo) has been especially interesting in Santiago this week because of Hurricane Isaac. We're not supposed to get too much damage as a result of this tropical storm, but people seem to be taking some precautions regardless.

After this week passes, everything will be in Spanish for me. I want to keep my "compromiso al espanol," that is the agreement that I made to speak as much Spanish as possible while in the DR. The Spanish here is so rapid and often abbreviated, so it has been difficult to understand everyone that I come into contact with. Nevertheless, I can see an improvement already in my speaking and listening skills. Score! I can't imagine where I'll be at by the end of the semester!

I'm staying with a host family. An older woman named Geremania and her granddaughter, Priscilla. They also have a housekeeper who comes over every other day. It is always a bit of an obstacle to adapt to a new living environment, especially when it's with other people. My family here has been so kind to me though, it's made the transition so much easier.

Classes begin next week Thursday. So far, I have signed up for a Spanish course, a TESL/TEFL course, some Latin American Studies courses, and two electives: running and screen printing. Very random, I know, but students in my program will have the chance to alter their schedules in the next few weeks. So that gives me hope.

This weekend we'll be taking a day trip to Santo Domingo and hopefully going to an Afro-Caribbean drumming performance. I'm very excited about both!

No comments:

Post a Comment