9.20.2012

Dominican Survival Guide 101: Living Situations

Yes, I know. It's been a minute. Over the last two weeks, I've been occupied by weekend trips throughout the Cibao region, my Fulbright ETA application, and my classes at PUCMM. Life is once again as busy as usual. I cannot complain. I enjoy having activities to occupy my time. Although, down time is always nice too! I'm still trying to figure out some plans for this upcoming four-day weekend. Monday is a holiday: El Día de las Vírgenes de Mercedes, so we'll have no classes! Yay! Perhaps I'll take a trip to the mountains. Bring on the outdoor adventures. (Minus Pico Duarte.. I still need some time to mentally and physically prepare myself for that one!)

On top of the typical business, I'm adapting more and more to my living situations here in Santiago. Here are just a few things I've become accustomed to (mas o menos): 
  1. Cockroaches: They come out at night fall and have parties in my bathroom without inviting me. How do I know this, you may ask? Whenever I enter my bathroom after 11:00PM, they all flee the scene leaving not a single trace of their fiesta. Those little buggers!
  2. My Host Mama: One of her greatest pastimes is talking on the telephone. When she begins to limit here use of  "Ay Dios Mio!" or "Oh, my God!" it is a clear indication that the conversation is nearing an end. Also, when she is really perturbed by something someone on the other line said, she's likely to begin listing every Catholic Saint's name. It goes a little something like: "Ay _insert Saint name here_ Santo". Boy, am I learning a lot!
  3. Apagones/Blackouts- The lights go out frequently around here. Today in my TESL course, while giving video presentations (using the Audio-lingual method, in case you were interested...) the lights/electricity in Aulas II went out. Conveniently, the professor had been video taping our presentations. So now one of the groups will have an awkward video of themselves presenting material to the class during a blackout. That's sure to be memorable!
  4. Water-outs: There's got to be a word for this, but less frequently than electricity, the water stops running in my apartment. Sometimes it happens in the middle of a blackout, which obviously makes for a very exciting situation. Just yesterday we had one. FYI, I have only had to take two "sink showers" thus far. Mother would be pleased to know that I have no problem maintaining proper hygiene here. All is well! I take a shower on the reg, Mum!
 Recent Adventures
Taking a concho after visiting La Pulga:
An incredibly dense flea market of vendors selling everything from car parts and chicken legs to used clothes. Its only open on Thursdays, so a couple of us girls got up pretty early so we could go check it out before classes.
Photo Cred: Frances B.
My First Dominican Blowout:
A blowout is a straight hairstyle which is typically achieved using a blow dryer. It only lasted a few days because of the humidity, sweat from the heat, and the rain. It's so cheap though, I'll definitely be going back to get my hair done again soon.
Photo Cred: Kim S.
Photo Cred: Khemani G.

No comments:

Post a Comment