9.02.2012

Santo Domingo + Classes + Sosua Beach

Santo Domingo Day Trip 8.26.12: Zona Colonial

 I find it hard to believe that I've only been in the Dominican Republic for two weeks. I've already traveled to the capital, Santo Domingo, visited one of its famous beaches, Sosua, and spent a lot of time getting to know the other students in my program. Is all that possible in only two weeks? Usually when I travel for a couple of weeks or even a month, time seems to go by really slowly. But here, in the Dominican Republic, I'm experiencing just the opposite. These last two weeks have gone by so quickly. Perhaps I perceive time as going by faster because I realize that I will be in this country for a longer time span than I have been in any other. I'm not sure how else to explain this "phenomenon."

Last weekend the group took a 2+ hr bus ride from Santiago de los Caballeros to Santo Domingo for a day trip. Scheduled to visit the capital on Sunday the 26th, we were met with the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac. It was not exactly a photographer's dream. The entire day was overcast and rainy and entirely the opposite of how I imagined a trip to the Zona Colonial. Although I did enjoy seeing some of the historical firsts in the Americas, I found myself quite distracted from these remarkable sites by the unbearable post-Isaac humidity and countless soggy pigeons. Nonetheless, I was able to get several successful shots despite our clouded and damp environment. Hopefully I can return to the Zona Colonial at some point and really take in these scenes.

Following our tour around the Zona Colonial, which was led by the ever-so-animated Dr. Guitar, we took a drive out to Los Ingenios de la Boca de Nigua- an 18th-19th century slave plantation with crucial historical significance for the island of Hispaniola. It is the site of the fist slave rebellion on the island, and also the place where, in 1801, Toussaint L'Ouverture declared the freedom of all slaves on the island. For me, it was an incredibly moving and solemn experience to be there. I was deeply intrigued by the history of this plantation. Although my family descends from a very different island in the Caribbean, my knowledge of the shared history of the West Indies profoundly connected me to this place. 

 First beach trip 8.31.12: Playa de Sosua
The remainder of the week flew by. After orientation ended on Tuesday I experienced several firsts in the DR: On Wednesday I got my first Dominican blow-out (a straight hair style) along with my first Dominican mani/pedi,  on Thursday I attended my first classes at PUCMM, and on Friday I went to the beach for the first time. By the time Saturday came around, I was ready for a little rest. My 75 yr. old host mom could hardly believe me when I told her I had no plans for Saturday night. As she was walking out the door to go to a Santiago social club, she told me to call my friends up and see if anyone wants to go out. She's too sweet! But its true. I'm not one to stay in the house/indoors in general for long. I like to keep busy and exploring. So its on to the next adventure for me! Next weekend is a rural work retreat, an opportunity to serve some of the campo communities near Santiago. I'm looking forward to this weekend trip, as I personally am a strong believer in incorporating service into the practice of travel. Its a great way to enrich your experience abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment