6.03.2013

Why My Senior Year Was So Great: Part Two

MARCH
ASB. The first week in march I participated in an Alternative Spring Break service trip to Washington, D.C. My group's site, Help!, focused on the issue of homelessness. We had the opportunity to learn about the topic, serve the homeless community a bit, and participate in a two-day "urban plunge." For the first few nights of our spring break trip, we stayed at the Father McKenna Center, an organization which serves homeless men, women, and families in the downtown Washington,  D.C. area. Later in the trip, we would work with the National Coalition for the Homeless. This last organization facilitated our "urban plunge," during which we were out on the streets of DC for 48 hours without money, food, or shelter. Our group of twelve was split into six groups of two, mostly girl + guy pairs. We were given few instructions besides staying in character (that meant wearing grungy clothing, not taking a shower, which we hadn't done for six days, and keeping our cover stories). Provided only a small map and a list of soup kitchens/shelters, we set out to learn as much as we could in just two days. My experience in that short amount of time truly changed my perspective on the issue of homelessness. I suddenly became aware of my inescapable social status. As I struggled to panhandle for money, find food to eat, and even apply to jobs, I realized all too many things that I take for granted daily. In the simple act of sleeping, I was interrupted by police or security guards, depending on where I was. But the part that really upset me was the fact that I was all to often ignored. Parents shielded their children from me on the street. I could walk around for hours without a single person making eye contact with me. How are you supposed to feel human in this situation? That was the question I grappled with and still do. So many interactions caused me to doubt my faith in humanity. But conversations with the homeless, random acts of kindness, and the generous individuals I encountered along the way helped to renew that faith. In short, my Alternative Spring Break trip altered my perception about a huge issue in our country and around the world. It challenged me on many levels, and I hope that I never lose touch with that experience. .

SLG. In addition to putting on events for the campus community, my sorority took in six new members this semester (Eta line). Although we are a smaller organization, we are also a very close-knit one. I was blessed to enjoy another memorable semester with SLG, and organization I've been a part of for the past three years. It's such a beautiful thing to call these young women my Sisters for Life/Hermanas por vida.

CAFE. In mid-March I performed in a Latin-dance showcase hosted annually on campus. Café con Leche, features dance styles from all throughout Latin America. Every year students from all different grade levels and majors sign-up to be a part of the show. I was placed in the Merengue dance, and I couldn't have asked for a better group. Our choreographer had, like me, studied abroad in the DR, and learned the typical Merengue dance style or Merengue tipico while she was there. When the show finally came around, we did an incredible job, and in that moment, I could not have been more proud of my group.
My Alternative Spring Break Group in Washington, D.C.
Above: The DistinGuisheD Gamma Delta Chapter of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Below: Eta Line practicing a step and a group shot of the sorority at the spring coming out show
Me + My dance partner, Aaron, in the Café Con Leche Dance Showcase this March

 APRIL-MAY
My final month of the semester was spent preparing for finals, graduation, and move-out. But in the midst of all those things, I still found time to enjoy a few more adventures at Vanderbilt.

MY 1st PHOTOSHOOT. My best friend and sorority sister, Sarah, has her own shop page on Etsy. She crafts unique, custom high-waisted denim shorts and sells them online. You can check them out and even order some of her designs at her store, the Little Sparrow Shop. In March, she asked me if I could help photograph some of her shorts for the site. I immediately agreed, and on a Friday afternoon we went out to an abandoned warehouse in Nashville to shoot. I had a great time working with my friends as I set up shots and took photos. I can't wait for another opportunity like this!

RITES OF SPRING. This semester was only my second time (in four years) attending our annual on-campus music festival.While the lineup this year (Juvenile, Miguel, Matt Kearney) was not really my cup of tea, the weekend still managed to be an truly unforgettable one.

HOLI. The Festival of Colors. I could never work up the courage to face a frenzied crowd with handfuls of powder in all different neon colors, that was until this semester. Despite staining some clothes and skin, it was altogether awesome. I hope I can participate in this festival in years to come!

SENIOR BEACH WEEK. Every May, during the week between the end of finals and graduation, many seniors take off for the weekend and head to a vacation spot to chill for a few days. This year's destination was Panama City Beach. While PCB doesn't hold the greatest connotations in my mind, I went anyways to enjoy some sun and beach with a few of my closest friends. The weather turned out to be perfect for the majority of our stay, and before leaving I took my friends to Rosemary Beach, one of my favorite spots in Florida, where we enjoyed a peaceful, though windy, exploring the unique little seaside town.

GRADUATION. Whirlwind. That's the only way to describe it. It involved a lot of people, pictures, and stress, but there were some special moments captured along the way. In addition to Commencement, I participated in the Black Graduates' Recognition Ceremony. My Mom, Dad, Sister, and Sister's Boyfriend all came up to support. The ceremonies and receptions were wonderful, and it was wonderful to share it all with amazing family and friends. The day afterwards, I packed up my room, bid farewell to a few dear friends and said goodbye to my four-year home. It was a bittersweet moment, but I know it's only a matter of time until I return to the place that has given me so much. #anchordown

Photo-shoot for the my friend's store, the Little Sparrow Shop
Rites of Spring 2013
Capturing some of the colorful craziness at the Holi Festival
Vandy Beach Week 2013. Above: Sorority sisters together at PCB. Below: A beautiful day at Rosemary Beach.
A priceless moment from Vanderbilt Commencement 2013. I finally spotted my family in the audience of thousands!

No comments:

Post a Comment