6.02.2013

Why My Senior Year Was So Great: Part One

Shall we start from the beginning?
JANUARY 2013
My semester started off slow as I readjusted to college in the U.S. once more. I had just experienced the most incredible semester abroad in the Dominican Republic and upon returning to Vandy I spent my first month playing catch-up on the four months I'd been gone; reconnecting with old friends, studying for classes, and reacquainting myself with the college life I once knew. To put it simply, it was a tough period. I had suddenly gone from having 18 best friends to just a handful of close ones. When I wasn't looking at old pictures or listening to Dominican music in my free time, I was Skyping with my friends from there or daydreaming of the DR. Some sort of nostalgia, saudade, or whatever you might call it. I don't think I've ever missed a place so much. But I knew the transition would be a difficult one, and with time things became familiar once more. Soon enough, my reverse culture shock subsided.

FRIENDS+FAM. A few weeks into January, my sister and her boyfriend came up to visit me in Nashville. It was his first time in Music City, so I showed them some of the tourist sites, and, of course, treated them to my favorite food spots in the city. While they were in town, we hung out with one of my great friends, Milly. Back in 2011, she and I travelled to Sri Lanka together, and there we quickly became close. We remained close after the trip, but our friendship really grew this semester. When I moved back to campus in January, she not only helped me to adjust to life in my new dormitory, but through numerous late night chats and study sessions, she helped me to stay focused (academically, emotionally, and spiritually), and most importantly, she provided the exact amount of Dominican-ness that I needed to get through that first month back. I don't know what I would have done without her.
Above: My Sister & her Boyfriend came to visit me in Nashville.
Below: My dear friend, Milly, and I.

FEBRUARY 2013
PPR. This year was my second time attending the Posse Plus Retreat (PPR) with several of my friends. The retreat happens off campus (deep the woods of Middle Tennessee) in early February, and it is a weekend for students to engage in dialogue about a relevant, though often taboo, topic. This year's theme was Class, Privilege, and Power, and we explored these topics through workshops, modules, small/large group discussions and my personal favorite, "warm & fuzzies." For this last one, everyone on the retreat is encouraged to write short notes of gratitude, praise, or encouragement... just anything positive to share with someone else on the retreat. By the end of the weekend we had an entire wall filled with colorful post-it-note-warm-&-fuzzies. When I got back to campus, I got settled in my room and began to read the (mostly anonymous) notes that people wrote to me. Each one was a unique treasure I'll be sure to keep.

1st PHOTO EXHIBIT. Feel free to read my past blogs (1 and 2) about my February exhibit. I had such a wonderful time sharing my work with friends and co-workers at the university.
CONCERTS. Towards the middle of the month, my best friend from home, Neha, came to visit me. It was her first time in Nashville, and also the first time either of us had visited the other in college. I blogged about some of our adventures here. That was my first concert experience in Nashville. Believe it or not, I had never been to one in music city during my 3.5 years there. Later on in the semester, I went to another concert. This time it was to see my favorite artist, Lianne La Havas, who played at 3rd & Lindsley downtown. I'm so glad I was able to experience them both before leaving.
ENTER SOMEONE SWELL. Back when I was 19, and came up with my 21 before 21 list, I was sure to write down (no. 21) "meet someone swell." Though I didn't necessarily achieve this goal prior to turning 21, it did occur while I was age 21, so that still counts (in my mind). It all began one mid-February evening. I was attending one of the finer, more cultured evening gatherings that colleges have to offer during the weekends... Okay, well, it was a party, but a Caribbean party (let us make that distinction). There, I ended up dancing with a young man who was my acquaintance for a few years. We danced well together. As the DJ transitioned from one bachata to the next, we didn't skip a beat! For this Caribbean girl, it couldn't have been more perfect. That evening, I gave him my number. Two days later we would go on our first date. And three months down the road, after countless adventures together, we would both graduate from Vanderbilt. I'm so grateful to have come to know such a gifted, inspiring, and fun-loving person.
Left: Students engaging in discussions about class & privilege at the 2013 PPR retreat.
Right: A few of the "Warm & Fuzzies" that covered an entire wall.
Discussing one of my favorite shots with friends at the reception for my photo exhibit 
Above: Lianne la Havas in Concert at 3rd & Lindsley
Below: Johnnyswim in concert at the Basement in Nashville
Me + My Senior Year Adventure Partner
(caught in an awkward mid-laugh, but I still love this shot)



No comments:

Post a Comment