8.11.2013

Sunday Evening Dinners 1.0: Pad Thai


Food has always been a way for my family to come together and bond. In my household, Sunday morning brunch has been a tradition for as long as I can remember. My family always congregates in the kitchen to prepare a large meal that feeds everyone's tastes. I tend to think that these brunches are the reason for my intense love of breakfast food. Nonetheless, the tradition of preparing this meal every weekend was a really special part of my childhood and teenage years. I may not always be home to cook and partake in the deliciousness on Sunday mornings, but when I'm on my own, I like to organize a variation of our family ritual: "Sunday Evening Dinners." On the menu this weekend: Authentic Pad Thai. Last week, I went over to my Thai coworker's home to learn how to make this  "fast-food" dish. After visiting the farmer's market and grocery store in Santo Domingo yesterday, I had all the ingredients needed to make this yummy Thai street-food. It was only my first try, but I think it came out pretty swell. My roommate and I ate every last bit. Have fun with the recipe below!
 
8 ounces rice noodles
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
 Juice of two limes
 1 tablespoon canola/vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
2 cups fresh mung bean sprouts
 2 eggs, whisked together
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon red vinegar
1/4 cup unsalted crushed peanuts 
+1/4 cup unsalted whole peanuts (for garnish)
1 cup fresh cut cilantro
+1/2 cup fresh cut cilantro (for garnish)
2 limes cut into wedges (for garnish)
Prepare the rice noodles according to the package (usually involves soaking them in cold water, draining, and then adding them to boiling water). Once slightly cooked, drain the noodles and let them cool.
In a large pan, sauté the garlic, yellow peppers, and green onions in the sesame and canola oils on medium heat. Add whisked eggs, and scramble them a bit.  Add your rice noodles, and begin separating the noodles with a utensil while adding your wet ingredients (soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, tamarind paste). Gradually add in the brown sugar and continue stirring. Add your mung bean sprouts, cilantro, and crushed peanuts and toss until they are all mixed in.
Garnish with whole peanuts, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
Qué disfrute! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment