8.20.2013

A Sample of the Next 10 Months

The night before leaving Santo Domingo, I went to a local Bilingual school to teach an English lesson. I had volunteered to do this a while ago, and waited (a little impatiently) for the date to roll around. It finally came, and the whole thing was a success. Everyone was attentive, so eager to participate, and even willing to learn all the crazy new words I threw out at them. We read an article about internships in the United States and then discussed it together. Immediately following the class, as I was waiting outside for my ride, a few students came up to me and started asking questions. What are you doing in Santo Domingo? Where are you from in the United States? Where did you learn Spanish? Do you like this country? Are you Dominican? They went on and on. It was pretty fun for me to get the chance to speak in English with Dominicans my age, a rare opportunity really. We had a great little conversation for about 15 minutes. During that time, they taught me a few new phrases in Dominican Spanish (must make the distinction), all of which I've unfortunately forgotten by now. And I got to share with them some of my favorite English accents. Having grown up in the South with a Mother from England and a Father from Jamaica, accents are something I have had and will continue to have a lot of fun with for the rest of my life. So it was a great moment of cultural exchange, and the perfect end to an incredible summer in Santo Domingo. Perhaps, and I hope, it was just a sample of what's to come in the next 10 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment