12.10.2012

Be all here.

I've not always been the type of person to live "all in the moment." I'm a dreamer in that sense. Almost always considering what will happen later on in the day, the week, the future. I know it's not great to think this way, that it often makes you miss out on the present. For me, always thinking about the future has truly thrown me some pros and some cons. I've learned to seek out opportunities (internships, travel grants, scholarships, etc.) that I would have missed out on had I been focused only on today. But also, on a more serious note, I've really struggled to get through the mundane moments of the present. For that reason, I think I put things off a lot. I'm definitely a procrastinator, but also a creative mind... so the two somehow work together to help me produce some of my best work. Even still, I think that I'm always considering the future because it's a bit of an escape from the more prevalent boring and less interesting moments of the "here and now."

Now more than ever, I want to live in the present. I have exactly one week left in the Dominican Republic before I will return home to the United States. My feelings are so mixed about it all. I want time to slow down... just a little bit, so that I can savor these last few days.

Here's my list of things to do before I leave the DR:
  • Get a gift for your host mom-- Friday, Dec. 7th
  • Visit Centro León Museum Day-- Saturday, Dec. 8th
  • Go to an Aguilas Baseball Game-- Sunday, Dec. 9th 
  • Enjoy the music at Soho Rooftop's Jazz night-- Monday, Dec. 10th
  • Complete Final Examinations-- Wednesdy, Dec. 12th
  • Go souvenir shopping near Calle del Sol & Bella Terra Shopping Center-- Thur, Dec. 13th
  • Eat at Naturalis Té Vegetarian Restaurant & try their Boba Tea-- Thur/Fri, Dec. 13/14th
  • Get hair cut, died, and straightened-- Saturday, Dec. 14th
  • Attend Church in the Dominican Republic-- Saturday, Dec. 15th
Update: 12/23
So I was able to accomplish almost all of the items on my list. I also went to the beach (Sosua) one last time on Friday the 13th. Feeling content with what I was able to accomplish in my last week here.

No comments:

Post a Comment