12.18.2012

Mi Salida de la República Dominicana

If home is where the heart is, then mine must be shattered in a thousand places around the world.

7:18PM After waking up late and rushing to the airport with my good friend, John, I finally made it to the Santiago International Airport (Cibao) to begin my journey back to the United States.

8:10AM We paid the taxi driver and rushed up to the kiosk with our big bags, only to be given some tough news so early in the day. I knew I was late, but I thought I would have substantial time to make it onto my 8:40AM flight. Nonetheless, at check-in I was told that my bags could no longer be checked because boarding had already begun on my flight . My only options were to: (1) Travel to Punta Cana and fly to Miami that way, (2) Take the same flight the next day, or (3) Take a later flight in the day to New York, then travel to Atlanta. I chose the third option. Everything works out for a reason.

10:00AM After finally breathing for a bit, John and I got a chance to just sit and chill in the airport for a few hours. We Skyped our friend Jana who left the day before, and I enjoyed my last Dominican meal, while John dreamed of the Whopper he planned to devour later on at JFK.

12:15PM I bid farewell to John, thinking I might have the chance to see him before boarding, or at least in JFK. Unfortunately, customs pushed things along so fast, that I didn't get to formally say goodbye. Sorry, John! Te extraño! I went through customs, having to run to a cajero (atm) in the midst of my stress to get some extra cash for overstaying my visa.

1:15PM Did I mention I've been carrying around a 50 pound carry-on bag this entire time? Yeah, that happened. Thankfully if fit into the overhead storage and on my flight to JFK.

5:00PM I made it through customs in JFK and walked to baggage claim, where I found my Uncle and cousins happily waiting! It was literally the best welcome committee I could have ever asked for. I hardly never get to see my cousins because of school, and our crazy schedules, so this was a real treat. They helped me with my luggage, and we traveled from JFK to LaGuardia where I would take my final flight.

6:00PM At LaGuardia, I checked my bags again, somehow managing to get both of them in for free. My Uncle, cousins, and I enjoyed a few snacks in the food court before saying goodbye. It was so special to have those few hours together, and for that reason I think that missing my early morning flight was a real blessing in disguise.

7:00PM I finally settled at the gate and found myself passing the time just people watching. New Yorkers are so unique. So far, it has been most fascinating to see how people express themselves through clothing here. I didn't really think about it before. Having lived in a country where people don't really take too many fashion chances, the airport styles I saw today came as a real shock. Even still, I had the opportunity to kind of reflect on my time in the Dominican Republic and my interactions with strangers there, which I think is another huge contrast with my experience back in the United States already.

9:10PM After much delay, my flight to ATL finally arrived. People were definitely getting cranky, but some rough weather situations delayed the flight from arriving at its original boarding time of 7:50PM.

12:10AM I arrived. After almost an entire 24 hours of travel, I finally arrived in my home state. I found my parents at the American Airlines baggage claim and dropped my bags before grabbing them both to give them a huge hug. I've never been so excited to see the parental units.

I'm so happy to have made it home safely, and I feel so incredibly blessed to have had this opportunity. I will never forget the memories that were created, and the people that changed my life over the last four months. And to the Dominican Republic, just one more place where my heart lies... nos vemos ahorita!

No comments:

Post a Comment